In this article we'll discover how to Design a Website. We'll cover all the key steps required to design a website, from purchasing your domain (website name) to having a live website open for business. I've tried to make this as simple as possible without going into too much detail.
What you will need to Design a Website?
It's simple, all you need to design a website is:
A Domain Name - this is your website address or URL, i.e. www.leedswebsitedesigns.co.uk
Hosting - you need to host your website with one of the several companies out there
Content Management System - a system where you can design and edit your website
How to Design a Website in 10 steps:
Here are the 10 steps required to design a website in chronological order:
- Purchase a domain name. GoDaddy is one of the largest, if not the largest, domain name provider. Search their site for available domains and purchase one you like. The average cost for a domain name (for 1 year) is around £15. You can get discounts for purchasing 1+ years.
- Purchase hosting. I recommend and use SiteGround. They're really cheap and their support is second to none!
- Point your domain name-servers to your hosting. This can be done through the DNS settings in your domain account. Note: This can take up to 48 hours to propagate but from experiences it takes far less.
- Add your new domain to your hosting.
- You may want to install CloudFlare (or similar) to increase the speed and security of your site. If you use SiteGround hosting, you'll be able to do this for free!
- If you plan to take payments over your website, you'll need to install an SSL certificate to secure your customer's information.
- Install a Content Management System, i.e. WordPress. Again, SiteGround have an auto-installer which does this in one click!
- Find a theme you like and install it through your WordPress dashboard or File Manager in your hosting CPanel.
- Design to your liking! Use plugins and page builders if you're just starting out. Experiment what works and what doesn't!
- Finito! You now have a live website designed by you (hopefully!).
Can I Design a Website?
Are you computer savvy? Do you have time? Do you know basic html? If the answer to all three is yes then I'm sure you could! See which website design services you could include in your website. Once you've finish your website you may want to think about maintenance or care plans. If you've successfully followed the 10 steps, pop me a message and let me know - I love feedback! If you would like support or come across any obstacles during these 10 steps, please feel free to contact me and I will help solve your issue(s). Alternatively, if you think you need some training to design a website, I can teach you (either face-to-face or through Skype). Want me to do all the hard work? I'd be more than happy to design your website for you! You can also find out more about me. I'm passionate about helping local businesses and would love to add value to your organisation!